Enjoy some wine suggestions for the holidays from Grand Hotel Master Sommelier, Elizabeth Schweitzer.
The preparations are being made and the menu is extensive. Let me offer some wine suggestions to make this part of your gala a bit easier.
Sparkling wine is always a good choice, it acts as an aperitif and can hold up throughout the dinner with its lightness and firm acid.
- Sparkling Suggestion: Bower’s 2896 Brut Rosé
Always a crowd-pleaser, Riesling is a strong choice either semi-dry or with a touch of sweetness.
- White Wine Suggestions:
- Trefethen Dry Riesling or Black Star Farms Late Harvest Riesling
- New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc
- Lightly oaked Chardonnay such as Calebread Cellars
Your red wines should also be lighter and fruitier to not overwhelm the many flavors on your menu. Beaujolais, Zinfandel, and Pinot Noir are good examples of this.
- Red Wine Suggestions:
- Stolpman Love you Bunches Gamay
- Dubeauf Beaujolais
- Et Fille Pinot Noir, and Frank Family Zinfandel
Don’t worry too much about your wine choices, enjoy this time with family and loved ones. That is the best pairing of all!