Grand Hotel Accessibility
At Grand Hotel we care about all our guests. It is important to us that everyone who visits the Grand Hotel website or hotel feels welcome and finds the experience seamless and rewarding.
Grand Hotel strives to provide accessibility services and accommodations to help all of our guests who may have additional needs or requirements. Our commitment to accessibility is a hallmark of our hospitality and ensures that all individuals can experience our extraordinary accommodations.
What steps are we taking?
At Grand Hotel, we strive to make a positive experience for all our visitors. We designed this website using the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) 2.0 AA. These guidelines explain how to make web content more accessible for people with disabilities, and user-friendly for everyone.
How has your experience been?
Accessible public spaces of the hotel:
Grand Hotel offers a variety of accessible routes, features, elements, and amenities throughout its public spaces and within its hotel rooms. Highlights of the accessible features in our public spaces are:
- There is an accessible entrance door to the building
- There are no steps, no abrupt level changes, no un-ramped curbs to the entrance/exit or public sidewalks.
- There is an accessible entrance at the east end of the building in front of Sadie’s Ice Cream Parlor. You may also enter at the front desk entrance where there is an unrestricted entry way.
- Registration counter serving guests has a lowered portion
- There are no steps, no abrupt level changes, no unsecured carpet or un-ramped curbs to the following areas: This applies to most guestrooms, public restrooms, lobby, meeting space, entrance/exit, public sidewalks, business center.
- The Center Elevator (C) located in the center of the building accesses all floors. Located from the Front Desk, go to your right, between the stairway and Mackinac Market.
- The East Elevator (E) accesses the Lower Lobby and Guest Room floors 1 through 4. It does not service the Parlor. From the Front Desk, it is located behind you at the end of the black and white checkered floor.
- The West Elevator (W) accesses the Parlor level and Guest Room floors 1 through 4. It does not service the Lower Lobby. Located in the Parlor on the west end next to the Trophy Room.
- Accessible restrooms are located on the lower level lobby, Theatre foyer, and Main Dining Room.
- Public restrooms are accessible, with at least one large accessible stall/toilet, one accessible lavatory, and one accessible urinal (with exceptions)
- Accessible toilets have a horizontal grab bar on the adjacent side wall
- At least one wash basin in each public restroom has drains and hot water pipes that are insulated or protected (with exceptions).
Accessible Guest Room Features:
Grand Hotel is designed with rooms to accommodate guests with disabilities. The hotel offers 9 accessible guest rooms that are mobility, visual and hearing accessible with either 1 king bed or 2 double beds. Rooms offer either accessible bathrooms with tubs or roll-in showers. The breakdown of these accommodations is as follows:
- 3 King guestrooms with tub.
- 2 King guestrooms with roll-in shower
- 1 Double/Double guestroom with tub
- 4 Double/Double guestrooms with roll-in shower
- Visual notification device for door knocks and phone calls
- Visual smoke and fire alarm device
- Braille guest room door number signage
- TTYs are available for use by persons who are deaf or hard of hearing
- TTY is available at the front desk so personnel can communicate with persons who are deaf or have speech impairments
- Televisions in guestrooms offer closed-captioning
- All entry doors and other interior doors (except doors on shallow closets) allow wide passage
- Door hardware on all entry doors and other passage doors within the room are usable with one hand
- Rooms allow wide route on each side of the bed
- Clear passage at the foot of each bed
- Drapery wands and controls on fixed lamps and HVAC thermostats are easily operable with one hand
- All drapery control wands, fixed lamps and HVAC controls are placed for forward approach
- Rod and shelf in the clothes closet are placed for forward approach
- Accessible desk
- Electrical outlet within four feet of telephone
Accessible Guest Room Bathroom Features:
- Bathroom doors allow clear passage (roll-in only)
- Bathroom door hardware easily operable with one hand
- Accessible toilet in bathroom
- Toilet in bathroom has a grab bar
- Toilet seat height is accessible
- Wash basin is low with accessible clearance under the front edge
- Faucet is easily operable and usable with one hand
- Clear floor space where persons who use wheelchairs can turn around
- Towel racks are low to accommodate accessibility
- Tub Features:
- Faucet controls and shower diverter can be turned on and off easily and are operable with one hand
- A transfer tub seat is available
- An adjustable-height hand-held shower wand with long hose
- Two horizontal grab bars (one high/one low) along the side of the tub for stabilization
- Roll-in-Shower Features:
- A folding seat that is accessible
- Faucet controls and shower wand positioned on the wall
- A horizontal grab bar on the wall
- Roll-in shower is free of curbs or lips at the shower floor
- Roll-in showers have faucet controls that are easily operable with one hand
- Adjustable height shower wand with a long hose
- Grand Hotel allows persons with disabilities to use service animals, without imposing any extra charges or conditions, in guestroom/suites and all public areas of the facility.
- Hotel staff are available to move furniture and provide and adjust accessible features in guestrooms.
- Hotel staff are available to offer assistance, upon request, to persons with disabilities who cannot transport their luggage to/from their guestrooms and who may need assistance in locating guestrooms and hotel amenities/guestrooms when features require installation or adjustment to ensure accessibility.
- Hotel staff are available to read printed/visual information upon request.