Labor Day Jazz Weekend
Arrive: Friday, August 30, 2019
Depart: Monday, September 2, 2019
$2,325 per couple
$599 per additional adult
For your listening pleasure, you’re invited to enjoy the mastery of top jazz virtuosos during daytime concerts in the Tea Garden and evening performances in the Theatre. The package includes evening cocktail receptions, cookout luncheon in the Tea Garden Saturday and Sunday afternoons, full breakfast and dinner daily, and all entertainment. You will also enjoy a Sunday morning gospel performance on the Front Porch. Saturday and Sunday mornings you will have the unique opportunity to interact with the artists during Q&A sessions hosted by Paul Anthony. All weekend long you will be able to sit back and relax with late night performances at the Cupola Bar and The Jockey Club at the Grand Stand by Paul Keller. Escape to America’s Summer Place for the Labor Day Weekend and immerse yourself in the melody of beautiful Jazz music played by some of the country’s top performers.
Announcing John Pizzarelli, Jr. & Catherine Russell to Perform A Salute to Billie Holiday and Frank Sinatra
We are excited to announce John Pizzarelli, Jr. a favorite of Grand Hotel guests will perform Saturday with Grammy Award-winning vocalist Catherine Russell. Most recently John performed in 2017 and 2014 during the hotel’s Labor Day Jazz Weekends. Previous to that, he played a special set during the hotel’s 125th Anniversary Celebration in 2012. Together they will perform a stunning tribute to Billie Holiday and Frank Sinatra.
World-renowned guitarist and singer John Pizzarelli, hailed by The Boston Globe for “reinvigorating the Great American Songbook and re-popularizing jazz,” has established himself as one of the prime interpreters of the American standards and beyond. Acclaimed vocalist Catherine Russell was born into jazz, as the daughter of Luis Russell, long-time musical director to Louis Armstrong, and pioneering jazz guitarist and vocalist Carline Ray. She has since toured the world and has many decorated albums to her credit. The two join forces for their first collaboration. This unforgettable program will feature soulful interpretations of chart-topping classics like “All of Me,” “God Bless the Child,” “Witchcraft” and “One More for My Baby.” Instead of stepping back in time to reenact the work of Billie Holiday and Frank Sinatra, Russell and Pizzarelli pull the music gracefully into the present, performing in a program that is part tribute and part personal introduction to the people who made this music famous.
You are encouraged to make your reservation early so you don’t miss out on what is promised to be an enjoyable weekend.
Stay tuned for more information about the 2019 line-up for Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.
Have you been to a past Labor Day Jazz Weekend? Listen to Q&A podcasts of past performers by Paul Anthony below!
Weekend sponsored by:
*Stay a fourth night FREE: add a fifth night for $249 per room. (additional fees may apply)
Make your reservation online or call 1-800-334-7263 for availability.
- Accommodations (fourth night free)
- Full breakfast and dinner daily
- Friday evening Welcome Reception
- Friday evening Theatre performance
- Friday evening late night performances by Paul Keller
- Saturday morning Q&A session hosted by Paul Anthony
- Saturday afternoon Tea Garden performance
- Saturday evening cocktail reception
- Saturday evening Theatre performance
- Saturday evening late night performances
- Sunday morning gospel performance
- Sunday morning Q&A session hosted by Paul Anthony
- Sunday afternoon Tea Garden performance
- Sunday evening late night performances
- All entertainment – including late night performances
- Cookout luncheon in Tea Garden Saturday and Sunday afternoons
- Free admission to the Richard and Jane Manoogian Mackinac Art Museum
- Special discount on ferry boat tickets
- No tipping within Grand Hotel
Subject to Michigan 6% sales tax, 2% Mackinac Island assessment and a $8.50 per person baggage handling charge. Regular additional adult and children’s rates apply. *Dates subject to availability.